The Ukulele is undoubtedly one of the easiest instruments to learn; that is why it is very suitable for kids. The urge to learn and interest in music develops very early in a child’s life; some children are awed by guitars, other pianos, and others Ukuleles. The Ukulele is the ideal instrument for children due to its small size and its very bright tone.
The best age for teaching a child to play the Ukulele is when they develop an interest in the instrument, or even a parent might spark interest in their child. Children who are forced to learn normally don’t get far with it. Generally, the most preferred age of introducing a child to the Ukulele is 6 years, but others start as young as when they are 3 years old.
Most parents are supportive when it comes to introducing their kids to musical instruments. However, this task is not easy to accomplish since settling on an instrument that your kid can easily play is tricky. Furthermore, the device might not be easy for your kid to play with, or it might fail to match your kid’s hand; numerous challenges are likely to come along with these products.
My Three Favorite Best Ukulele for kids
1. Soprano Ukulele Beginner Pack-21 Inch w/Gig Bag Fast Learn Songbook Digital Tuner All in One Kit
In case you need a unique melodic sound of Hawaiian Island, you should opt for Soprano Ukulele since it comes packaged with 21 Ukulele. It also features a songbook on How-To-Play and a digital tuner. You only need to stay calm and enjoy your Ukulele. This product contains a superior craftsmanship quality since it combines chosen excellent bassword for solid, body wood, especially for the blackwood and neck. It is primarily for the bridge as well as the fingerboard.
On the other hand, its design is eco-friendly, hence making it your loveable music instrument. It allows you to play while having maximum fun; this product has 12 Nickel Silver Fret plus appropriate frets marked position on the 10th, 7th, and 5th blackwood fingerboard. Furthermore, this product contains a playable nylon string, which maintains in tune after you play for some time.
- It generates a unique sound of Hawaiian Island.
- It features 21 ukuleles.
- This product comes with a songbook and digital tuner to guide you while playing your Ukulele.
- It is a quality product because it combines excellent solid basswood, body wood, and neck.
- It has an eco-friendly design.
- This product is worth the value since it allows you to learn to play your Ukulele.
- It is not worth an investment.
2. Official Kala Learn to Play Ukulele Soprano Starter Kit, Satin Mahogany – Includes online lessons, tuner app, and booklet (KALA-LTP-S)
This product is popular due to its maximum quality; it is also a musical instrument for schools. Most people love learning how to play this product than any other given Ukulele brand. It comes with a kit packaged with a Quick Start Guide of 20 pages, containing all the information you require to know about your new Ukulele. Furthermore, the kit also includes a Kala logo tote bag. With this product, it is simple to freely learn lessons within a short duration via the website of Kala Brand Music.
It features a maximum quality mahogany Ukulele plus a Polynesian Shark Teeth Laser etched traditional rosette. It is the perfect product for your kids since it does not require you to have many accessories.
- It is a popular instrument due to its maximum quality.
- It does not require a lot of accessories to be successful.
- This product guarantees you easy to follow online classes.
- This product delivers excellent performance.
- It produces outstanding sound.
- It is not a long-lasting product since the bridge can easily break.
3. Kala KA-15S Mahogany Soprano Ukulele
The Kala KA-15S Mahogany Soprano Ukulele was initiated in 2005; it is famous due to its entry-level, affordability, and maximum quality. Moreover, its class makes it remain the unrivaled product; it is a remarkable product for acoustic performance, practicing, and classroom use. This is a mahogany Soprano Ukulele in finishing of Satin with a full-bodied, warm, bright tone. It features a beautiful Bridge as well as Walnut Fingerboard, among many more accessories. Kala KA-15S Mahogany Soprano Ukulele is an instrument that is mostly played by renowned in the entire world, such as Zac Brown, the Ukulele teacher, EatMyUke, Dodie, and Vance Joy, among many more people. This product has a common size, compact, with the tightest fret spacing and shortest scale length.
- It is a remarkable performance for classroom use, practicing, and acoustic performance.
- It is durable and reliable since it can serve you for a longer duration.
- This product features an Aquila string resonate that is impressive enough and maintains the tune well.
- It is an affordable product, and it is also worth the investment.
- It quickly loses its tone.
Top Fifteen (15) best Ukulele for kids
Thanks to Ukuleles for guaranteeing excellent instruments for your kids. They are somehow compact, budget-friendly, resembles the guitar, and simple to use. It has all it takes to conquer the parent’s heart. Therefore, promote your kids’ talent by buying the Ukulele they love; this review will make you more informed about the best Ukulele for kids. These includes:
1. Kala KA-15S Mahogany Soprano Ukulele with FREE Deluxe Stronghold brand soprano uke soft case gig bag
This product guarantees you a complete-bodied tone plus many Mellow Lows and Sweet Highs, which come together to produce a full, rich sound. It gives you a fresh Ukuleles approach; note that it features mahogany sides, back, and top. Kala KA-15S Mahogany Soprano Ukulele produces much sound despite its size; it also contains a mahogany construction, which delivers a warm and bright plus sufficient volume. This tone projects when playing with your entire group; it has a satin finish that offers it a well-played and antique feel. If you are a guitar player, you are likely to appreciate the ease of playability as well as low action. Besides, this product is more effective and efficient for beginners. This means you can make it your number one choice for your kids, be sure it delivers maximum performance.
- This product generates a full, rich sound.
- It delivers a tone that is bright and warm with sufficient volume.
- It features a satin finish, which guarantees you and well-played and antique feel.
- This product has easy playability and low action.
- It is a practical and functional product.
- It is a less quality product, hence being an inferior product.
2. ADM Soprano Ukulele Beginner Ukulele Kit with Gig Bag, Kids Ukelele Package, Brown
It is from top quality material, such as basswood of high quality, which generates a distinctive and bright tone. It does not matter whether you sing alone or play with your friends. This product comes with an eco-friendly design, and it features nylon strings; all this makes it a fantastic musical instrument. Bear in mind that this instrument is simple to play; it has a fret of 3 to 3.5 m and a string height o 2; note that it is the best tool for beginners, especially kids. Additionally, the string’s appropriate height makes it simple for you to play this instrument and minimize the finger pressure. It guarantees you a lifetime string freely for replacement.
- It is a quality product from quality materials.
- It has an eco-friendly design.
- This product comes with nylon strings, making it easier for you to pay for this product; it also minimizes figure pressure.
- It has a year warranty.
- It does not hold on tuning fully.
3. Toy Ukulele Soprano 21-inch Hawaiian Guitar Plastic Ukulele for Children Kids Gift Macaron Color Style-Blue
This product has beautiful Macaron colors, which is enjoyable for almost everyone. It enlightens you on music, an excellent choice to commence music from the Ukulele since it is easy to learn. Toy Ukulele Soprano has an eco-friendly design, making it your favorite musical instrument. Furthermore, it is a top-quality product with a durable neck and a plastic body, which adds a high and precise gloss finishing for durability purposes. The nylon-string maximum tension guarantees you acoustical quality. This product can make a fantastic Ukulele gift, and it is perfect for the entire ages, and it is not only for kids but also for adults. Bear in mind that it can exercise hand co-ordination and enhance kids’ hobbies and interest in music.
- It is a suitable product for the entire ages, from kids to adults.
- It is the perfect choice to start music since it is easy to learn.
- This product has an eco-friendly design.
- It is a quality product since it features a durable neck and plastic body.
- It is worth the value.
- This product can make an excellent gift for the entire ages.
- It might come if it is broken.
4. Donner Solid Electro-Acoustic Ukulele Electric Tenor Ukulele EQ 26-inch Mahogany Body DUT-4E
The Donner Solid Electro-Acoustic Ukulele features solid mahogany and EQ top plus a beveled armrest. Besides, the mahogany neck and body generate brighter and richer sound; it also contains a bridge and Rosewood fingerboard to offer you a comfortable playing feel. This product is accurate and smooth since it features a Donner chrome-plated patented guitar style tuners to maintain your Ukulele on tune always. Moreover, this product has 18 Brass Frets plus Fret positioning marks at 12th, 9th, 7th and 5th frets on the neck and the fingerboard top. It also comes with the Ukulele carbon nylon string, Ukulele strap, and Ukulele bag, which makes it an excellent gift for your beloved kids.
- It has a mahogany neck as well as the body to bring you a brighter and richer sound.
- This product features a bridge as well as Rosewood fingerboard to generate a comfortable playing feel.
- It is an accurate and smooth product since it has the Dooner patented Chrome-plated guitar style tuners to maintain your Ukuleles tune all the time.
- It can make an excellent gift because it has carbon nylon string, a Ukulele strap, and a bag.
- This product is worth the money because it delivers maximum performance.
- It functions as advertised.
- It does not have a perfect intonation flaw.
5. Ukulele Concert Size Bundle from Lohanu (LU-C) 2 Strap Pins Installed FREE Uke
In case you are looking for the best Ukulele for kids, which is best at choice and price, you must opt for this product. This product is ideal for children under the age of eight and below and adults with compact hands. It has a famous concert and broadly spaced frets. Bear in mind that this product is recommended for both kids and children. However, adults who have large hands can opt for tenor. It also features a unique arched back, which generates a professional sound since it can produce a fuller and durable sound that is deeper and louder than the cheap solid wood product or a flat back. This product features an impressive design since it is made of Sapele wood with Premium white bindings on your Ukulele neck and body. It has Chrome tuning gears that are shiny to maintain excellent tuning.
- It comes with a free lesson book for beginners.
- This product comes packaged with the entire accessories.
- It has a beautiful design from Sapele wood, with Premium white bindings around the Ukulele as a whole neck and body.
- It guarantees you the best choice and choice.
- It is a less quality product since it does not generate a quality sound.
6. POMAIKAI Soprano Wood Ukulele Rainbow Starter Uke Hawaii kids Guitar 21 Inch with Gig Bag for kids Students and Beginners (Light Blue)
It is an exceptional Kids Ukulele since it comes with an actual basswood body with a top gloss finish. This creates a musical, crisp, and clear sound; it also contains fret wires that are smooth enough and do not harm your fingers. Bear in mind that the cute mini Yukalalee has 12 frets on your hardwood fingerboard, generating varying tones for songs. It makes an excellent gift for your loved ones, whether they are kids, adults, children, or friends.
This product comes with four nylon strings to prevent stroke and produce full-bodied sound whenever you play the Hawaiian Ukuleles songs that are traditional. You must note that they generate a durability and stability sound without harming your hands. You must understand that this product is perfect for generating quality sound; it also comes with wider spaced frets. This product stays on the tune for many weeks; you only require to play continuously and re-tune it.
- It is an exceptional product since it features a maximum gloss finish and an actual basswood body.
- It produces a musical, crisp, and clear sound.
- This product features 12 frets on the hardwood fingerboard, producing varying tones for the songs.
- It makes an excellent gift for friends, kids, children, and also adults.
- It comes with four nylon strings to prevent stroke and produce a full-bodied sound.
- It does not work as advertised.
7. Hape Kid’s Wooden Toy Ukulele in Red
When you want to clean this product, it is appropriate that you use a damp cloth. With this product, you can correctly introduce and teach your kids about the entire world of music. This product is perfect and practical for young hands since it is easily tunable and completely playable. It educates kids about strumming, basic rhythm as well as other techniques of music. This product encourages kids to develop creativity and auditory skills. It has a non-toxic finish, and it is from materials that are safe for kids; this makes it a fantastic product.
- It is a sturdy product for young hands.
- This product is tunable and playable.
- It educates kids on basic strumming, rhythm, and other musical techniques.
- It boosts the creativity and auditory skills of your children.
- It is a less durable product since it breaks down quickly.
8. Moukey Soprano Ukulele Starter Pack,21 HT Dolphin Design
It features a Soprano Ukulele of standard size plus a whimsical motif dolphin on the lovely wood top that is natural. This product comes completely packaged, and it has everything your lids require to get commenced with your Ukulele, such as the extra packages of Aquila strings and a digital tuner. It also has a gig bag for playing that is comfortable enough. It guarantees you a warranty for 3o days.
- This product is easy to play anywhere at any time.
- It has an excellent design that is appealing to kids.
- It has an accurate sound.
- It has a bit of report on the flaws of manufacturing.
9. Lohanu Concert Ukulele
If you need a small Ukulele for your kids, then you must consider this product. However, as your child develops, they might need a more advanced Ukulele. You must note that Concert Ukulele is 23-inches longer compared to Soprano. However, it makes a more powerful sound. Bear in mind that this product contains Aquila strings. It is perfect for kids and adults; it also has an arched back, either a hollow, deep space for generating a fuller sound.
- It comes with Aquila strings.
- It has a fuller sound and arched back.
- This product has a perfect size for older children.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty.
- It has laminate peeling.
10. Honsing Soprano Ukulele-Rainbow Stripes with Gig Bag
This product has a rainbow-bright stripes finish, guaranteeing a colorful alternative to wood-finish that is standard. It has a make of the bassword that is durable; this product contains a fretboard and rosewood bridge. This product also comes with a carrying bag for storage and protection. Besides, it is a perfect instrument for kids who are starting on the Ukulele.
- It comes with a carrying bag.
- It is affordable since it is not costly.
- This product delivers maximum performance.
- It has a colorful finish that is impressive to kids.
- Its bag and turner are of less quality.
11. Lanikai kohala soprano
The Lanikai Kohala Soprano is a top-quality Ukulele that is affordable. It is among the excellent choice when it comes to choosing a Ukulele for Kids. This product body has a mahogany construction, which allows it to generate vibrant sound; it maintains the tune for a longer duration. Moreover, it comes with essential accessories, such as a nifty clip-on tuner, polish cloth, and gig bag.
- It has a design that is attractive and simple.
- It features a convenient clip-on tuner.
- This product has a body of solid mahogany.
- This product’s quality has to be boosted.
12. Kangaroo 22.5 Ukulele
This product is user-friendly, and it comes with multiple accessories, which entail everything that your child is likely to require. It has a remarkable design; it is simple to play; note that it offers your child maximum quality sound. Kangaroo 22.5 Ukulele comes with a manual for instruction to give you kid guidance.
- It is simple to play this product.
- This product is worth the value.
- It has numerous accessories.
- It has plastic strings, which do not sound or feel natural.
13. Diamond Head DU-150 Soprano Ukulele
The diamond Head DU-Soprano Ukulele has a classic and simple design for excellent utility. The construction of this product offers kids a complete spectrum of sound. This product has three chords, which are in the package to reduce curves for learning. It has a traditional shape that enables complete-bodied sound production.
- It is easy to learn this product since it comes with a three-chord chart.
- This ukulele is a convenient style tuner guitar.
- It generates maximum quality sound.
- Its string quality is not good.
14. Not Home 21 Inch Soprano Ukulele
This product has an eco-friendly paint that makes it suitable and safe for kids to use. It comes in different colors, so you can choose the favorite color that your child is likely to love. Not Home 21 Inch Soprano Ukulele guarantees you excellent sound, quality, and playability, making it worth the investment. It features nylon strings, which are quite comfortable for your kid to handle. It also has durable and reliable solid tuning pegs.
- It has eco-friendly paint.
- This product has many color options.
- It is worth the investment since it works fantastic.
- It loses its tune quickly.
15. Mahalo Rainbow Series Soprano Ukulele Starter Pack
This is a reliable and solid product for your kid to get started. Furthermore, t contains NuBone XB bridge saddles and Aquila Strings, which guarantees you proper tone spectrum and resonance. It has nifty dolphin-shaped geared tuners that make it simple to maintain standard tuning.
- It has a great design.
- This product is easy to learn and play anytime.
- It produces maximum quality sound.
- Its tuning consumes some time.
Best Ukuleles for Kids Buying Guide
Finding a Ukulele for kids can be quite tasking; here are a few tips that should guide a parent when finding the best Ukulele for kids.
- A Soprano Ukulele is the best choice for kids because it is light in weight and small, making it easy for kids to handle.
- Establish if the child needs an actual instrument or a toy Ukulele.
Many manufacturers produce soprano Ukuleles, and others are sold at very lower prices and have cartoon characters pictures; these Ukuleles are mostly for show and barely have good qualities that a good Ukulele for music must possess.
- Inspect the quality of the Ukulele
The Ukulele should be inspected to find out if it’s good for children. When inspecting the Ukulele, look for good tuning pegs, and if it has geared tunings, it would be better.
- There is no need to get an expensive Ukulele for kids.
It would be best if you did not break a bank to get a kid’s Ukulele, so long as the Ukulele sounds good and can be tuned well, then it’s suitable. The Ukulele is likely to face mishaps while being handled, so it might be a waste to buy, such as a learning child.
How to choose a Good Ukulele for Kids?
When choosing a kid’s Ukulele, here are some of the things you should look out to get one that is of good quality.
- It should be sold from a trusted manufacturer
- It should have durable wood
- The Ukulele should be comfortable to play and hold
- It should have a better sound with a deep rich tone
- The price shouldn’t be higher but on the low end or middle. Is well designed
- The Ukulele should be easy to play
- It should have extra strings, a strap, a tuner, polish cloth
- It should also come with its own gig bag
- The Ukulele should have a fully functional tuner
• Best Materials for Ukulele for Kids
The small size of the Ukulele makes it best for children; the Ukulele comes with various materials. Koa is among the best UKU materials used by many manufacturers to make high-end Ukuleles, which are quite expensive. If a parent doesn’t intend to settle for these high-end Ukuleles, they should settle on one made of Spruce or Mahogany, which are also the very quality and fair in price.
Ukuleles whose strings are made of Nylon material are also best for kids because it hurts the fingertips less than other types of strings. When they get used to it, the discomfort quickly fades away.
Tips to Prepare Your Child Learn the Ukulele
Children around the age of three are mostly ready to learn to play an instrument; parents should start sparking interest and then prepare their children to learn. Here are some of the tips that should be used.
- When they have started learning, set performances to show off some of their skills, which will motivate them to keep doing better and feel appreciated.
- Set learning easily achievable goals.
- Be an involved parent in the process of learning the Ukulele; this mostly motivates the young ones.
- Please choose the right Ukulele for them
Factors to Consider When Buying a Best Ukulele for Kids
When buying a Children’s Ukulele, here are a few factors to consider to get the best Ukulele for Kids.
- The Size of the Ukulele
The Ukulele has various sizes; the smaller Ukulele is the Soprano Ukulele, which is suited for smaller kids and the lightest. When a child progresses, learns, and grows, then a bigger Ukulele should be considered. The others are Concert, baritone, and tenor and should be chosen according to need.
- The build material of the Ukulele
The material used to build a Ukulele is also important to consider when buying Kid’s Ukulele. For affordable Ukuleles, you should go for spruce or Mahogany, but if feeling generous enough, the one made of Koa and Nylon strings is the best.
- The intonation of the Ukulele
Intonation is the ability of the instrument to be able to tune correctly. When buying a Ukulele, choose one that tunes correctly from known manufacturers. A toy like Ukuleles can be hard to tune as they don’t even have an intonation. So, if a child is interested in playing, you should invest in good Ukulele, not those cheap ones found mostly in supermarkets since most of them are toys.
How to Prepare Kids to Learn Ukulele?
Here are a few things that a parent or teacher should do to prepare kids to learn the Ukuleles.
- Lastly, show them how they will be strumming.
- Familiarize them with the chords
- Show them how it is tuned
- Show the child how they should hold their Ukulele.
- They should go over the parts of the Ukulele so as the child can learn their purposes and familiarize themselves with the instrument.
• What About Tuition
A Ukulele is an easy instrument to teach, even at home, by a parent who knows the instruments. Here is how to teach the Ukulele after sparking their interest:
- Lastly, the child can be taught other different songs that follow multiple chords.
- The seventh step is to teach them their third chord, which is the F major. After they learn, then introduce them to a three-chord song.
- The sixth step is to teach them a song that uses two chords.
- The fifth step is to let them learn their fifth chord, which is the G major.
- The fourth step is to let them learn their first song, a nursery rhyme which the child is familiar with is always preferred.
- The third step is to teach the child their first Chord, which is the C Major.
- The second step is to give the kid the Ukulele to hold and familiarize with its parts to get comfortable.
- First, the child should have a Ukulele; shop for a good quality Ukulele which has good strings that won’t hurt the child’s fingers and wood that would project better sound.
Q: What is the best Ukulele for a child?
The best Ukulele for your kid is the one that is made out of wood with a decent ore neck and a perfect hardware package. It must also come with a learning guide book to make you appreciate the culture and history of the product you opt to purchase for your child. They are a variety of Ukulele for kids in the industry; it calls upon you to choose the best.
The Ukulele comes in various sizes; the smallest is the Soprano Ukulele, then Concert, Tenor, and then the Baritone. The best children’s Ukulele is the Soprano Ukulele; its weight and size make it easy to handle thus are perfect for young players. The Soprano Ukulele also is sold at an excellent price, which is suitable for entry-level players.
Q: What age is appropriate for Ukulele?
Most people find it appropriate at years old. However, at the age of three years, some kids can perform magically. Therefore, note that kids can start learning the Ukulele anytime they find interest. Three years old is an appropriate age to commence learning the Ukuleles.
Q: Which type of Ukulele is best for beginners?
In case you are a beginner, it would be best to choose a concert or Soprano Ukuleles. They feature traditional sound which your head can master. Moreover, they are compact enough to make more comfortable forming cords.
Q: How much does Ukulele for kids cost?
Price plays a vital role when purchasing a Ukulele for your kid since your child may not need the product you buy him or her in the coming future. Bear in mind that the Ukulele you kids are less costly. It ranges between $30 to 40. However, the perfects ones range between $90 to $100.
Q: How can you teach your child the Ukulele?
You first have to make sure they are interested. Once they gain interest, purchase for them the Ukulele. Educate them on the basics of holding their Uke and chords; guide them on the strumming patterns, then start by teaching them one of their suitable songs.
Q: Is the Uke a toy?
In the past, the Ukuleles were marketed as toys, even though that is not the case. Currently, Ukuleles are unique instruments used mostly by musicians.
Q: Which Ukulele materials are best?
The most dominant materials for Ukulele are primarily; plastic and wood; they maximally impact your sound quality. Furthermore, they generate bright sound and need minimal maintenance. However, they are likely to break easily. In case your kid is not settled and can smash and bang your Uke around, opt for a plastic made Ukulele. In terms of wood, spruce, mahogany, and mahogany are the primary materials, they have the maximum quality, and they have excellent sounds.
Additionally, they are long-lasting.
Q: What are the tips for choosing the best Ukulele for kids?
Below are some primary tips you should consider while buying the best Ukulele for the Kids. These are:
- Style and color
- Components and materials
Q: Is the Ukulele easier compared to the guitar?
Nothing is easier to learn like Ukulele. Unlike the guitar and many stringed instruments, such as Mandolin. The Ukulele feature soft nylon strings, which are gentle on the fingertips and cannot harm your hands like the guitar. On the other hand, it contains four strings that make the chord scales and shapes easier.
Q: Does the Ukulele shape matter?
When it comes to kids, the shape of the Ukulele matters, it is appropriate you always go for the guitar shape, which allows the kid to hold it comfortably and naturally.
The Ukulele popularity has grown immensely in recent years as beginner instruments for kids. The best Ukulele for kids, as discussed, is the soprano Ukulele. Thanks to its small size and lightweight, children can hold and use it easily. There are various factors, of course, considered before choosing a perfect one. So, if your child is interested in playing the Ukulele, the article above gives tips on what you should be looking at.
Choosing the best Ukulele for kids is never easy, but you are now familiar with the best Ukulele for kids with this review. Therefore, it counts on you to choose the best that is likely to meet your demands effectively. Make a point of choosing the best to make your kid experience a remarkable performance while playing the Ukulele.